History, Archaeology, Ethnography
In December 1918 English ships entered the port of Batumi, while it was left by Turkish troops.
In order to rule the district, a general governorship was formed with Cook Colis as a governor.
The district was ruled by “The Council of Rulers of Batumi District”, which was headed by a lawer Maslov.
The Council Issued several orders concerning various spheres of life. In April, 1919 the Council was dismissed due to disagreements with the English.
Government of the Democratic Republic of Georgia tried to return back the Batumi district conducting negotiations with the English in this direction but it was not achieved due to various reasons.
Finally in July, 1920 Batumi district was returned to Georgia.
Ministry of Culture of Ajara