later, he became a director of the Institute of History and the Institute of Linguistics (Both institutes were parts of the Georgian Academy of Sciences). In 1943, Simon Janashia became a director of the Institute of History. In 1935-46, he was a Head of the Chair of the Georgian History at the Tbilisi State University.
Janashia’s main field of research was the ancient and medieval history of Georgia. Simon Janashia has considered the issue of the Georgian ethnogenesis, the development of the social classes and genesis of the Georgian statehood in a new manner. Janashia initiated a new stage in the research of the Georgian ethnogenesis: according to him, cultural and state centers moved from south to north in the Middle East. He also introduced a new concept about the Georgian autochthonism.
Janashia undertook tremendous work to publish the Georgian historical sources, translate the foreign sources into Georgian and analyze them. He wrote numerous works on the history of culture and various historical and geographical issues.
Janashia led archaeological expeditions in Georgia. In 1940, he began the archaeological diggings on Mtskheta site. His input is big in the study of Tbilisi’s history. He studied Tbilisi’s development into the state City. Janashia studied the genesis of Tbilisi’s districts.
Under his editorship, the collection of papers on Tbilisi’s 1500th anniversary – Tbilisi (1947) – was published. The works by Simon Janashia were published in four volumes (1949-68). He was actively involved in the public work. He was awarded with the USSR State Prize twice, in 1943 and 1947. The State Georgian Museum bears Simon Janashia’s name.
The Georgian Academy of sciences established a Simon Janashia Prize for the distinguished achievements in science. One of Tbilisi’s streets is named after him.
He is buried in Mtatsminda Pantheon, in Tbilisi.